Hoylake Parade Community Centre is a multi-purpose public building located in Hoylake, Wirral, which serves as a community centre for the local area.
The parade centre was built in 1909, as The Parade Higher Elementary School which opened 1910, with 89 pupils on roll, each paying fees of 6d per week. Pupils were admitted selectively by entrance examination from the age of 12.
Colombia 2016 Home QUINTERO 11 Jerseys
, the second world war led to the evacuation of nearby Liverpool led to 230 evacuees being admitted temporarily to the school.
With the opening of the co-educational Hilbre School in nearby Newton, the school became an annex of the new school in 1973, which it remained until it was ultimately deemed surplus to educational requirements as a school in 1984.
Following its closure as a school, the building was used for a variety of community purposes, including accommodating a youth club and evening classes on the site. By the end of the 1980s however, the building was earmarked by the local council for closure and demolition, though this decision was overturned following a community campaign.
An extensive redevelopment of the facility has been undertaken in recent years water in glass, with refurbishment of most of the building’s rooms and interior spaces.
In 2009, the building celebrated its centenary with a number of public events.
The building accommodates a number of artistic, theatrical and sporting groups, including Wirral Sand Yacht Club.
The sensory soft play resource provides a facility for local special needs groups and individuals. The Centre also hosts a number of educational and local interest sessions.
As part of the centenary celebrations, a previously disused room was restored to recreate a schoolroom setting in the original style of the building, which is now used by school groups as an educational resource.
The building is designated as part of the Hoylake conservation area.
The building provides a variety of rooms available for hire, from small and medium-sized meeting rooms to the larger mini hall and the main hall, which can seat up to 100. Rooms are named after local towns and villages, for example, the Caldy room, the West Kirby room and the Heswall room.
The centre’s coffee bar, refurbished in 2000, provides a public space within the building. Free wireless internet is available in this area, and most areas within the building.
The ground floor of the building is wheelchair accessible throughout, via access ramps and automatic doors. In October 2016 after a four year fundraising campaign, £130,000 was raised allowing the installation of a lift to the building which allows full disabled access to the first floor.
Also on the site is Wirral Sand Yacht Club, comprising a yacht storage area, workshop, bathrooms and clubhouse, available for Sand Yacht club members’ use.